Thursday, October 13, 2011

GloboGym. Turn that Frankenstein into Frankenfine!


I wasn't looking forward to today's WOD. It reeked of GloboGym. 5 rep max Bench Press. I had a really difficult time convincing myself to go, but forced myself regardless. How else am I supposed to become the complete package? Oh Baby! One of the many reasons I came to CrossFit though was to get away from these types of workouts. Albeit, this is only the second time we have done them this year, it's still a turn off for me. Part of the reason as well is that I generally suck at bench press. Even when I walked around aimlessly at a globogym I avoided this movement as often as I avoided farting in private.
  • A) I could never do any heavy weight.
  • B) It was intimating lifting next to a bunch of meatheads glaring you down because they lifted more than you. Dude, your roided chest is huge but the chicken I ate last night had bigger legs than you.
  • C) Yea it's great to promote shoulder stability, but it by no means is the determiner of performance.
  • D) Give me core strength and working from the middle out any day of the week.  
I walked in and checked out the board. Jack put up 275# for 5. No chance there. Crazy Mike did 245#. No way! Rico put up 235#. Nope. TapeFactory 225# Ugh I could shoot for a tie, but it's gonna be tough. Honestly I felt I could do 205# for 5 and that was it. So here I went.
  • 135# for 5. Easy
  • 165# for 5. Keeping it light still.
  • 195# for 5. Getting heavier, but manageable.
  • 215# for 5. I jumped higher than my intended 205# figuring that I still had energy and shoot for it now.
I was then going to do 225#, but Johnny Deadlift convinced me to put the 1/2 pound plates on like he did with Paul T last night. This would be the second day in a row that TapeFactory would be done in by one more pound.
Fuck it! I'll go for it. The first three reps weren't that bad. The fourth rep was tough and then I made a mental mistake...I paused at the top for too long before I attempted my fifth rep and I barely got it up a quarter of the way. Fail! That sucked. I also tweaked my hamstring a bit. The worst part was that Johnny Deadlift was taking a video of this so he could potentially post it up and we could antagonize TapeFactory again. Damn. I was thinking about attempting it again, but I wasn't there mentally until guess who walked back in???  TapeFactory! He immediately starts to give me shit. Oh I can't do it and if I do he'll do 230# right after. Blah Blah Blah. That fired me up and I start to prepare. Johnny Deadlift starts yelling at me to focus, Tapefacory is still giving me shit and then I hear Sean Curry out of my left ear calling me a Pussy and to just do it.  It was go time!
  • 1st rep - Done
  • 2nd rep -Done
  • 3rd rep - Done
  • 4th rep - Heavy
  • 5th rep - Oh Shit! Puuuuuuuush!
I struggled badly, but I fucking did it. It felt so good to complete that 5th rep and not fail again. Yes, it was on video and TapeFactory did attempt to beat it, but he didn't have anything left in the tank. I'm not sure if the video will be released, but if it is I will definitely post that shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment