Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Yesterday's WOD... The Good!

WOD

1 Rep Max Bench Press

275#

Oh Baby! That was a 30# PR. Last time I did it I struggled with 245#.  I crushed it. To be honest I didn't think I could even do that much. Bench is not my strongest or most well liked movement. My right shoulder always starts off really tight, I was able to do more than I expected. I figured going into today that maybe, just maybe I could get 255#.  Very Happy with this. Who knows, maybe the 300 club is around the corner with this one. It also helps when you can harness that inner anger and utilize it toward your strength movements. 

Today's WOD...  The Bad!

15 Minute AMRAP

5 Pull Ups
10 Burpees
15 Front Squats @ 75#

5 rounds + 20 reps


SUCK!  I knew going in that my burpees would be the problem. Pull ups were fine and the front squats were fine after I got my right wrist loose, but those fucking burpees!  Johnny Deadlift taught us a new technique on the burpees. I actually found it a bit easier on my legs which helped me immensely, but my back started to get tight and that was it. I slowed down big time and as a result my front squats suffered. I can front squat a ton of weight so 75#'s is nothing, but with my back telling me to Fuck Off again it crippled my score. It's too bad though. I honestly think I can get 7 rounds plus here. Maybe someday, but not anytime soon.

Monday's WOD...  The Ugly!

3 Rounds for time

10 Deadlifts @ 275#'s
50 Double Unders

8 minutes maybe...

What the Fuck! Double Unders!  Let's see, during warm up I pretty averaged 41/42 in a row just to get warm. Heck, even the first round I did over 40. That God Damn second round. It literally took me three or four times to get one. For some reason it got into my head big time and basically I ruined the WOD from a mental standpoint. I know I shouldn't let it get into my head, but it ran wild. I don't know how long that second set of DU's took, but it destroyed my time. I should have had this WOD done in under 6 minutes. Man was I pissed. When they re on they are on and when they are bad, Oh Baby they are bad.  Next time fuckers... I am sure I'll see them in the Opens during the next few weeks. Joy!

The Deadlifts weren't an issue. All 3 sets unbroken. The prescribed weight was 225#, but John had me bump it up to 275#. 

With everything that is going on with my life, getting into the CraicHouse has helped me forget and set aside everything when I'm there. For that one hour a day it lets me just lose myself in the WOD regardless of the results. Who really cares. It's about being intense and pushing your limits. Being around friends and lifting heavy shit is great therapy. Till next time.

B-Ball tonight. Should be fun! 

4 comments: